Tuesday, September 04, 2018

SEVILLA SORPRESAS (or surprises.)...

 LOTS OF SURPRISES SINCE WE ARRIVED. For one, the first flamenco workshop I wanted to take yesterday was cancelled, as there was only me and another student enrolled. Which changed my class plans a bit, but in hindsight, it's all for the better. I took my first class in Seville with Ramon Martínez
 today, and it was fantastic. It was challenging, but he's a wonderful teacher. There are dancers here who are better than me, and a few who dance at my level. I expect I'll learn a lot more about Bulerias over the next couple of months. Even today, I can see a difference in my style, although I still have a lot to fix with the footwork. So it goes. I'm definitely in the right place.

Mike's found a gym, and while he went to work out, I spent the time roaming around Plaza Alfalfa, which is a great area for bars, restaurants, and shopping. It's not too far from our apartment, either. My Canadian teacher, Jane, had mentioned to me a couple of flamenco shops (Senovilla for shoes) and Flamenco Pasión (for skirts, shawls, etc.). I stumbled upon them both, quite by accident. I also discovered a number of other flamenco stores, all catering to La Feria (which occurs in May), with some stunning dresses in their windows (at half price). Not sure I'll bring one of these home to Canada, but shoes are definitely on the list, and maybe, if I can afford it, a new manton (a large piano shawl). The one I like is silk and embroidered beautifully, but it's expensive. I will definitely buy fans and other paraphernalia for myself and friends. But mostly, I want to concentrate and spend my money on flamenco classes.

Another surprise - I'm actually managing with my faltering Spanish. Hopefully, getting better at it. I had a Spanish couple stop me today, to ask where Las Setas were. They were from out of town, with their child in tow. I was able to tell them, first explaining that my Spanish wasn't great. The husband corrected me a few times, but that's fine. I don't mind, and it will only make me better. They understood me, and I understood them. All good.

The photo in the upper left-hand corner is of La Catedral, a world heritage site. It was completed in the 16th century. A bishopric seat, it's considered the largest cathedral in the world. We spent last night strolling around it, and it was impressive.

I love Sevilla. Have I mentioned that?

Until mañana, olé! - Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment