Monday, September 03, 2018

SEVILLA...

Las Setas
FLAMENCO IS A CONVOLUTED DANCE FORM. SEVILLA REFLECTS IT IN MANY WAYS. The photo to the left is of the Metropol Parasol,or as it's commonly known, Las Setas (in English - The Mushrooms). It's the largest wooden structure in the world and was finished construction in 2011. After managing to make our flight connections with only a hour to spare between London and Brussels, and then Brussels and Seville, we managed to get settled into our apartment. Afterwards, we went for a stroll and discovered Las Setas, a five-minute walk away. The photo here is borrowed and copyright-free. Unlike the day view, which is shown here, we saw Las Setas at night.

Complex and complicated. Las Setas is also a perfect metaphor for Seville.

I start my first flamenco workshop later today. The studio is located about a fifteen minute walk away from our apartment. Mike and I went to find it yesterday. On the map, the roads look fairly straight-forward, but not so in reality. It's going to take me a while to find my way without getting lost. The streets here are winding and narrow, with many a side lane intersected by buildings that offer two divergent ways that seem equally plausible (in fact, most of the streets here are what we'd consider a tight cobble stoned back alley.)

This, of course, is all part of Seville's charm. I do love it here. In fact, we are living across the way from what is now a boutique hotel, but was once the home of a famous flamenco guitarist who went by the name of Niño Ricardo. There's a plaque on the wall, commemorating him. When I saw it, I was moved to tears. I know - a little melodramatic, but Seville feels like home. I feel as if I've come back, but...from where? Maybe there is something to past lives. Maybe I was here. Not as the 'me' I am now, but a 'me' who may have lived and died in Spain. How else to explain these strange, complex connections I feel?

Unlike the lanes, the heat isn't subtle. The second you step from your apartment, it hits you like a furnace. The first day we were here, the temperature was 38 degrees. A little shocking for a poor cold-weathered Canadian. Today, it's only 29. We're getting used to the heat. Last night, the AC was set to 26, and it felt cool.

Speaking of last night, we visited the Museo del Baile Flamenco, or the Flamenco Museum of Dance (which is also only about five minutes away), and took in the museum and a show. We sat is the front row and were 'wowed'. My God. It will take me several lifetimes to learn to dance like that. But it was wonderful, a gift from the dancers, singers, and guitarist to the audience. Which, in its essence, is what the best flamenco is. A gift to those who are fortunate enough to witness it, from those who have learned to perform flawlessly and powerfully. An experience, shared by both artist and viewer. We are taken on a journey of both genius and passion.

More mañana. Olé! - Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment