Wednesday, August 06, 2014

LAUNCHING FIVE RIVERS' BOOKS at WHEN WORDS COLLIDE

TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE VOICED YOUR SUPPORT FOR ON SPEC either here on Suzenyms, on the I Read On Spec Facebook Page, or elsewhere, thank you. In light of our 2015 funding cut by the Canada Council, we have appreciated your comments more than we can say. As editors, we sometimes feel as if we are the 'enemy', especially when we have had to make hard decisions. Those of you who have commented on On Spec's behalf, (especially if we have rejected you in the past), not only show your professionalism, but reaffirm for me something in which I strongly believe - that we are all part of one great SF community. Because of you, On Spec will survive. I am hopeful that our grant funding may be reinstated in 2016.

As some of you know, I am heading to Calgary on Friday to attend one of my favorite conventions held here in Western Canada, When Words Collide. As well as being involved with the panels I list below, I am launching The Tattooed Seer on Sunday at noon. Five Rivers is also promoting all of its new 2014 releases on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. For those of you who would like to purchase Five Rivers' books, I've been told by Robert Runté, Editor in Chief, that he has five copies of each title which will be sold for $15.00 each. (The print version of The Tattooed Seer regularly sells for $28.00. As a convention offer, I'll be selling it for $25.00, so if you nab one from Robert, you're getting a deal.)

I am also on the following panels, which I am looking forward to and which should be a lot of fun:

On Friday, at 4:00 PM - Live Action Slush - Fantasy Edition: I love being involved with live action slush panels. If you aren't familiar with how these work, writers submit the first few pages of their work anonymously. The editors listen to a reader who reads the submission. Then the editors raise their hands when they reach a point where they might stop reading because of a writing problem. After three editors raise their hands, the issue is discussed. If no editor raises his or her hand, the piece is working well. Even if the submission has faults, this panel is a great way to hear professionals offer their advice on how to improve work. For me, it's a great mental workout - helps me hone my editorial edge.

On Saturday, at 11:00 AM -The Short Story - A Stepping Stone to Novel Writing: This should be an interesting one. This is how I started as a writer. Cutting your writing teeth on the short story has its benefits, but it also has its drawbacks. I'll be interested to hear what my fellow panelists have to say.

On Saturday at 3:00 PM - Live Action Slush - Historical Edition: Another Live Action Slush! (Diana Gabaldon was going to sit on this panel, but unfortunately she had to cancel her appearance at the convention. Even so, I am pleased to share it with GoH's Jack Whyte and D.J. McIntosh, plus Barb Galler-Smith, Randy McCharles, and the lovely and talented Adrienne Kerr of Penguin/Random House Canada) .

On Sunday at Noon - The Tattooed Seer, Book Social and Launch. Come on by for a chat and to help me celebrate! (I know, noon isn't a great time, everybody wants to have lunch. I'm ordering some food - I hope to have munchies on hand.) I will do a couple of short readings, field questions, and socialize. I will also have both The Tattooed Seer and The Tattooed Witch available for sale.

On Sunday at 2:00 - Five Rivers' Publishing Seven-Book Launch, as indicated in the image above. I'm looking forward to seeing other members of our Five Rivers family, including Dave Duncan and Ann Marston. (Yes, I am name-dropping, but what great names to drop!)

I'm looking forward to all of it, meeting old friends, and making new ones. If you're attending, don't be a stranger! I hope to see you there.

- Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment