Friday, September 21, 2018

MONDAY to FRIDAY, THE DANCE WEEK

A tile display, outside one of the bars in Seville
IT'S FRIDAY AFTERNOON AS I WRITE THIS, and it's been a good dance week. It didn't particularly start off that way. This is how it went:

Day One (morning): great bulerias class with Ramon. First tangos class this afternoon at 4:00 with Joaquin Grilo. I wonder what it will be like?
Day One (afternoon): Oh my god. I am in over my head with this tangos class. Everything is going by in a blur. This was supposed to be 'basico/medio' which I took to mean basic to intermediate (or beginner+) level. Did someone not send Grilo the memo? This was supposed to be easy. I'll decide after tomorrow if I'm going on Wednesday. AND NO WAY AM I STANDING IN FRONT AGAIN! That was downright embarrassing.

Day Two (morning): another great class with Ramon. The bulerias is challenging, but I feel as if I'm getting it. Lots of chances to 'tweak' where I have to.
Day Two (afternoon): Okay...I'm still missing some of the steps because it's going by so fast, but Grilo went over yesterday's choreo, and I'm basically getting it. Who knew my feet could move that fast? Nobody told me. Will definitely go tomorrow. Tried to take a spot in the back row, AND EVERYBODY WANTS TO STAND IN THE BACK ROW!!! Forced to remain in the front! Grrr!

Day Three (morning): I think I've developed a new blister on my little toe. Notice lots of other girls are sporting band-aids on theirs. Still love Ramon's class, and it's still challenging. I'm finally getting that remate.
Day Three (afternoon): More choreo, still waving my arms about like a gorilla, but AT LEAST I'M IN THE BACK ROW!

Day Four (morning): The dreaded bulerias 'circle' in Ramon's class, where we dance solo, but I did all right. Go me. :-)
Day four (afternoon): Where the hell was my head? I should have practised the choreo, but there were some new cool moves. The annoying girl who kept cutting me off from the mirror yesterday is actually a REALLY GOOD DANCER. I took Jane's advice and managed to get a video of us dancing, so now I have it and I can take it home to finally get those pieces I am missing. Really like Grilo - he has an awesome style.

Day Five (morning): Ramon divided the class in half and let us take a video of each other. It's so great to have a record to recall later. Apparently, his class in October is designated 'medio' or intermediate instead of  'all levels' so I may have to up my game. On the other hand, one of his longer term students told me it shouldn't change too much, so that's good to know. Mind you, she told me in Spanish, and I may have missed her meaning. Whatever...
Day Five (afternoon): Didn't go to Grilo's class, as we are going out tonight to see Ramon dance in his show at La Casa del Flamenco. I didn't want to look like a drowned flamenco rat from the week (had to do my hair and get cleaned up. And yes, I can guess what you're thinking - she pooped out. Give me a break. I've been dancing all week in 32+ C weather, both morning and afternoon.) Plus I have the video, and it will be practice, practice, practice until I perfect it. This tangos was the first exposure I've had to fast footwork for the majority of the dance and to mark the time. In other words, the taconeo was the marking. Very cool to be pushed (kicking and screaming) to the next level. :-) (And yes, I'm joking.)

I still love being here. I've definitely entered new flamenco territory. Must keep it up, once I'm back.

Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment