Thursday, May 08, 2014

LETTERS TO THE SLUSH PILE #16

Dear -------,

What have you done to me?

You drew me in, right from the start with a very captivating opening hook. I liked your clean, direct style, your strong and believable characters, the honesty of a blooming relationship, all of that. As I read, I found myself dying to know what happens next (for me, this hardly ever happens). Your story just kept getting better and better until the last two pages, and then....

What the hell happened? I mean this literally. I have no idea. I re-read your ending twice, just to make sure I didn't miss your intent. But no, it wasn't a question of you being too subtle or me being obtuse.

I suspect we'll buy your story because up until the last second it's that good, but you've got to fill us in. I'm sure that once you clarify it for us, it'll be a great end to a great piece. In the meantime, I feel like I'm sitting in a Five Star French Restaurant, having tasted a fabulous appetizer, only to be told by the maitre d' that I need to come back tomorrow for the main course! Mon Dieu!

- Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment